“Louis V. Gerstner, Jr. former IBM CEO
The thing I have learned at IBM is that culture is everything.
So you want to change your culture?
Start with the small things.
Here is a list of small ideas that can have a big impact in your company, in your favorite volunteer organization or with your family. Implement one and let us know how it goes!
- Cultivate gratitude by saying "thank you" for the small things
- Praise in pubic and with an element of surprise
- Never criticize a group for individual's behavior
- Be on time, start on time
- Put your phone away, and demand that others do so as well
- Celebrate failure and emphasize learning
- Develop coping strategies and put words to them
- Build your organizational vocabulary
- Tell stories that reinforce the culture you want
- Don't bad mouth anyone, including customers, staff, support, or family
- Be a mentor, provide challenges, push people to reach further
- Develop deeper relationships, get to know people
- Show you care about the people around you more than the money or the stuff
If you need help in finding ways to implement the small things in your organization, contact us for more personalized help.